Sunday, August 15, 2010

And the Verdict Is...

A few days ago I went in for a special exercise test at Primary's. Dr. Yetman told me she wanted to do this test to check a few things.

So I came early in the morning and came dressed to exercise. They checked my lung capacity, my oxygen levels, and did an echo cardiogram. As soon as those were done they had me get on an exercise bike. They hooked me up to a monitor, put a funny helmet thing on my head that put a mouthpiece into my mouth to measure oxygen rates, and then told me to bike until I couldn't anymore..... And so I biked! I biked and biked and biked! I could tell the bike resistance got harder and harder as time went on. When the doctors could tell I couldn't bike anymore they had me hurry and lay down on a table to have an echo cardiogram done. They took many pictures of my heart and then said Dr. Yetman would be right in.

Dr. Yetman came right in and said she found what she was looking for -- and that is this: I have stenosis in my tricuspid valve. She thought that was the obstruction she was seeing but she wasn't sure. Now she is sure and is so sure that she said we did not need to do the cardiac cath anymore.

So, how do we solve that problem? With surgery. Yes, Dr. Yetman said surgery is a must. Now the real question is - what surgery will we do? There is a new procedure out called the cone procedure in which surgeons are able to use you own heart tissue to repair the tricuspid valve. We would love to have that surgery done if it is possible, but we have to check it out. Dr. Yetman was going to call a doctor at Primary's who knows this cone procedure to see if I was even a candidate for this surgery. Dr. Yetman says this surgery is usually done on young patients (age 8-15) who have not had any previous surgery. I am not in that age range and I have had a previous surgery. If this surgery is a possibility then we will be going back to the Mayo Clinic to have it performed.

Dr. Yetman says we also have to address the rhythm problem I have. I have a different rhythm issue then most Ebsteins patients so she was also going to consult with a cardiologist who specializes in rhythm issues. She believes that my rhythm issue might resolve when I have surgery and my heart is functioning better. But there is also a good possibility it will not. If that is the case then we will most likely need to have a pacemaker put in.

So there we have it. Lots of thoughts about how this is all going to come together -- but I will save those for later. Right now I must just state that I overall I feel at ease. Both Keven and I feel like doorways have been opening and they will continue to do so. We have felt the Lord's presence over the past week and a half. I have no doubt He will continue to support us.

No comments:

Post a Comment