Friday, September 17, 2010

The Verdict once again...

We finally heard back from the Mayo Clinic! Dr. Yetman called yesterday and said Dr. Dearani had called her that morning. And the verdict.........MAYO CLINIC!!

Dr. Dearani says that he cannot perform the true cone procedure because one of my tricuspid leaflets is too damaged. His plan is to take out the old ring in my heart and replace it. He will then do a repair my heart valve using my own heart tissue. There is still some question about having a pacemaker or not. I believe that will be determined when meet with Dr. Dearani.

Dr. Yetman believes this to be our best option and truly, Keven and I feel it is the best option we could have been given. Dr. Dearani is a very gifted surgeon. He knows this heart defect SO well. It is comforting to be under such wonderful care!

May I add that Dr. Yetman and her staff - Barbara and Nancy - are so wonderful! They treat me with such kindness! I just love nice people!

Dr. Yetman said the next step was too make sure we can get our insurance to approve the surgery, Mayo Clinic, etc. So after talking with Nancy, Dr. Yetman's nurse practioner, I made a call to the insurance today. More wonderful blessings. First, our insurance happens to be BCBS of Minnesota! That means our insurance approves the Mayo Clinic, Dr. Dearani, etc. I love it!

Once we check one more insurance issue we will be ready to schedule a date for surgery. We are looking at November. Our home is supposed to be done the first week of November so anytime after is fine. We are thinking right after Thanksgiving. That way our house should be done and we will be here for Thanksgiving with our kids. The Thanksgiving/Christmas season is a crazy time to be doing all this but we need to do this before the end of the year and we also want to be in our own house so what do ya do?

Ahh....so glad to have some sort of answer. Not knowing is harder than knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment