Thursday, September 30, 2010

I remember when all this heart stuff started happening I felt very impressed to write everything down. How grateful I am for that! Being able to re-read through this journey is very helpful.

Surgery is set -- December 1st, 2010. We will fly out on Monday, November 29th. Tuesday, November 30th will be spent doing pre-surgery testing all day, then Wednesday is the day. It is nice to have it figured out. Dr. Dearani's staff is very nice and helpful.

I had an interesting experience last week that I wanted to share. I got a call from my friend Paul Shields - Paul and his family have been such a wealth of information for us during this process. What a wonderful family! Anyway, Paul called to suggest that it might be worthwhile to have another great surgeon give us a second opinion. This surgeon is at Boston Children's Hospital and one that the Shields have dealt with. That thought surprised me because I hadn't even thought about doing so. I was so excited that Dr. Dearani could help us that I didn't even think about a second opinion. As Paul and I discussed the option of getting a second opinion I got a strange feeling - a not so good feeling. After I got off the phone with Paul I was confused. When I thought about getting a second opinion from Boston Children's Hospital I just felt sick, and that really confused me. Why would I feel that way? Getting a second opinion seemed a harmless thing, why should I feel sick about it? Really strange...... so I spent a few days doing some pondering and praying. After doing so I made my choice, and felt great about it! I thought I felt good about the choice to go to Mayo, but after talking with Paul I felt even better about it. For whatever reason that is where we need to be. Whenever I think about Boston Children's Hospital I feel nervous, but that is not the case with Mayo. I am glad Paul called and made me think about another option. Although we didn't decide to get a second opinion I now feel even more solid in the choice to go to the Mayo Clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment